Thursday, March 24, 2011

Our favorite breakfast


This is our favorite breakfast. The reasons are myriad. For the kids, it's the favorite because it tastes so good. For me, it's a favorite because it uses lots of eggs and milk, is very healthy, requires very little sugar (as opposed to conventional pancakes or waffles), and it tastes so good. I often replace about half the flour with whole wheat flour, which doesn't adversely affect the taste or fluffiness. I got this recipe from my friend, Candy Heaton. (The numbers in parentheses are for a larger batch, cooked in a 10x15 pan.)

German Pancake

6 eggs (8)
3 cups milk and cream, in whatever ratio you want (4 cups)
1-1/2 cups flour (2 cups)
1/3 cup sugar (I don't put any sugar in mine, but the original recipe calls for it. Your choice.)
1/2 teaspoon salt (1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup butter (I only use real butter. Coconut oil doesn't keep the pancake from sticking.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in preheated oven. Mix all other ingredients in blender (or with a mixer on highest speed.) Pour into buttered pan and bake (lower oven) for 17 minutes, until set in the middle and puffy around the edges. Serve warm with fresh fruit, jam, syrup, or powdered sugar.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of our favorites too! In addition to the nutrition factor, I like how easy and quick it is too, which is compatible with school mornings. Some mornings I pop it in the oven while the kids are getting dressed and it's ready within a few minutes. For a topping we like to use peaches. Canned work but fresh is better. Warm them in a pan, add a little sugar, cinnamon and corn starch to thicken it to a syrup consistency and viola! Healthy breakfast the kids love! I really like the idea of the whole wheat flour! We'll have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had this on gen conf morning. i put in my home canned apples after the butter was melted and then the batter. i used all whole wheat as well. it didn't puff as much as usual so i don't know if it was apples or flour, but i was still delish. my family ended up eating 2 9x13 pans (12 eggs).

    ReplyDelete